The degree of heads of departments at the University of Dammam to practice transformational leadership style from the point of view of the faculty members
Keywords:leadership, transformational leadership, heads of departments, faculty members, KSA
This study aimed to identify the degree of heads of departments in the University of Dammam in KSA to conduct transformational leadership approach from the point of view of faculty members, and to achieve that the researchers used the descriptive method which is used for the diagnosis of facts by utilizing a questionnaire tool, by which the study population consisted of all the academic staff from all departments at the University of Dammam accounted 2100, however, by using simple random sampling techniques 300 valid returned questionnaires were took into consideration for the analysis. The study found the degree to which the practice of heads of departments in the University of Dammam for the transformational leadership style from the viewpoint of the faculty members was high (i.e. for all the variable’s items, except three paragraphs, ranging averages between (3.16- 4.94) out of (5). Also, the results of the statistical analysis showed that there were a statistically significant differences at the level of α = 0.05 in the responses of faculty members on all paragraphs attributed to the sex in favor to females; whereas neither statistically significant differences at the level of α = 0.05 found attributed to experience nor to the academic rankings. In light of the results of the study, the researchers purpose a set of recommendations.
- Aminuddin, Y. The Relationship between Transformational Leadership Behaviours of Athletic Directors and Coaches Job Satisfaction: A Field Study, Physical Educator, Canada, 55 (4), 1998.
- Barling, J., Weber, J., and Kelloway, E. Effects of Transformational Leadership Training on Attitudinal and Financial Outcomes: A Field Experiment. Journal of Applied Psychology, 81 (6), 1996.
- Bass, Bernard, Improving Organizational Effectiveness through Transformational Leadership, London Sage Publications, 1994.
- Bass, B. M., and Avolio, B. J. Improving Organizational Effectiveness through Transformational Leadership, Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA, 1994.
- Bass, B., and Avolio, B. The Full range Leadership Development Manual for the Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire, Mindgarden: Redwood City, CA, 1997.
- Bratton, J., Grint, K., and Nelson, D. L. Organizational Leadership. United States: Library of Congress Publishing, 2005.
- Colvin, Ropper, Transformational Leadarship: A Prescription for Contempoary Organizations, Leadarship Quarterly, 9 (1), 1999.
- Daft, Richard, Organizational Theory and Desing, 11th eds., U.S.A. 2004.
- Eden, D. Leadership and Expectations: Pygmalion Effects and other Self-Fulfilling Prophecies in Organization, Leadership Quarterly, 3, pp. 271-335, 1992.
- Edwards, G., and Gill, R. Transformational Leadershipacross Hierarchical Levels in UK Manufacturing Organizations, Leadership and Organizational Development Journal, 33 (1), 2011.
- Howell, J.U., and Avolio, B.J. Transformational Leadership Transactional Leadership, locus of control and support for innovation. Journal of Applied Psychology, 78, 1993.
- Kajs, L T., and McCollum, D. A Confirmatory Factor Analytic Study of the Goal Orientation Theory of Motivation in Educational Leadership, Educational Research Quarterly, 33(1), pp. 3-17, 2009.
- Krejcih, R., and Morgan, D. Determining Sample Size for Research Activities. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 30, pp. 607-610, 1970.
- Leithwood, K. Transformational Leadership, Where Does it
Stand? Education Digest, 58 (3), pp. 17-20, 1992.
- Leithwood, K. Leadership for the School Restructuring, Educational Administration Quarterly, 30 (4), 1994.
- Mackenz, S., Podsakoffm, O., and Richm, G. Transformational and Transactional Leadership and Salesperson performance, Academy of Marketing Sceience Journal, 2001.
- Masa’deh, R., Obeidat, B., Zyod, D., and Gharaibeh, A. The Associations among Transformational Leadership, Transactional Leadership, Knowledge Sharing, Job Performance, and Firm Performance: A Theoretical Model. Journal of Social Sciences (COES&RJ-JSS), 4 (2), pp. 848-866, 2015.
- Nischan, T.P. Transformational Leadership as a Predictor of Effectiveness Extra Effort and Satisfaction in a Community College classroom Environment, Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Nova Southeastern University, USA, 1997.
- Northouse, P.G. Leadership Theory and Practice, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications Inc., 2001.
- Pillia, R., Schriesheim, C., and Williams, E. Fairness Perciptions and Trust for Transformational and Transactional Leadarship, Journal of Manjment, 9 (2), 1999.
- Podsakoff, P. M., and MacKenzie, S. Transformational Leader Behaviors and Substitutes for Leadership as Determinanta of Employee Satisfaction, Commitment, Trust and Organizational Citizenship Behaviors, Journal of Management, 22 (1), pp. 259-298, 1996.
- Robbins, S. P. Organizational Behavior. New Jersey: Pearson Education International, 2003.
- Roberts, N. Transforming Leadership: APO cess of Collective Action, Human Relation, 1985.
- Sagnak, M. The Relationship between Transformational School Leadership and Ethical Climate, Kuram ve Uygulamada Egitim Bilimleri, Educational Sciences: Theory and Ractice, 10 (2), 1135-1152, 2010.
- Seltzer, J., and Bass, B. Transformational Leadership, Transactional Leadership, Locus of Control, and support for Innovation, Journal of Applied Psychology, 78, 1990.
- Tichy, N. M., and Devanna, M. A. The Transformational Leadership, John Wiley, New York, 1990.
- Yee, D. In Saskatchewan: Chalk, Chips, and Children, Reshaping School Leadership, 55 (7), 1998.
- Yukl, G. Leadership in Organizations, 6th eds., New Jersey, Pearson Prentice Hall, 2006.
- Zalezink, A. The Leadership Gap, The Executive, 4, 1990.