The Physical and The Sexual Violence against the Woman in the Jordanian Society- Descriptive Analytical Study Based on The Demographic and Health Survey 2017-2018
This study aims at revealing the reality of physical and sexual violence against the woman in the Jordanian society. Utilizing data from the latest Demographic and Health Survey in Jordan 2017-2018, and analyzing existing official statistics, the results showed that: one in every five women in Jordan is subjected to physical violence, which is more prevalent among women aged between 15-19, who have an elementary education, who are currently unmarried (divorced, separated, widowed), who are not employed and who come from Zarqa Governorate. The results also showed that the perpetrator of the physical violence is mainly the husband (current/ previous) then the brother followed by the father. As for sexual violence by the husband, the results showed that it is five percent prevalent, among women aged between 30-39, who have an elementary education, who are currently unmarried (divorced, separated, widowed), who are employed and who come from Balqa Governorate.
2. Kendall D (2015), Sociology in our times, Cengage Learning, USA.
3. Kimmel M, Aronson A (2009), Sociology now: the Essentials, Pearson International Edition, USA.
4. Kwaramba T, Ye J. Jinny, Elahi C, Lunyera J, Oliveira AC, Sanches Calvo PR et al.(2019), Lifetime prevalence of intimate partner violence against women in an urban Brazilian city: a cross sectional survey.PLoS ONE 14(11):e0224204.
5. Ortiz, M (2017), Domestic Violence Prevalence, Risk Factors and Perspectives, Nova Publishers, New York.
6. Tiruye T.Y., Harris ML, Chojenta C, Holliday E, Loxton D (2020), Determinants of intimate partner violenceagainst women in Ethiopia: a multi-level analysis. PLoS ONE 15(4):e0232217.
7. Vaseai F, Areshtanab H, Ebrahimi H, Bostanabad M (2019), Prevalence and predictability of domestic violence against Iranian women, CuKurova Medical Journal, Vol 44, issue 4,Cukurova University, Turkey.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.